The history of Cruck Barn

Our historic Sutton Coldfield office is at the heart of the business and where clients begin their financial planning journey.

About us

A home away from home

Our clients are wowed as soon as they walk into the 15th century, Grade II cruck barn in the Royal Town of Sutton Coldfield. We have been here since 2009, so it certainly feels like home and a welcoming space for our clients to meet with the team.

Cruck Barn

How it was built 

Previously known as the New Shipton Barn and dating back to 1424, we’re located in one of only seven cruck framed medieval buildings in Birmingham. All five pairs of oak cruck trusses survive to this today and each pair was formed from a single tree. Although recently refurbished, many of the original features have been retained.

Cruck Barn

A brief history

1425

Cruck Barn was built from trees estimated to be around 100 to 200 years old.

1528

Sutton Coldfield’s Borough Charter was granted by Henry VIII

Early 1700s

The main part of the Farm House was built and further extended in the 1800s

1855

New Shipton Farm became part of the Penns Estate

1864

New Shipton Farm sold, along with Penns Estate

1907

The Farm House was extended and the new Farm Cottage was built

1948

The Penns Estate was sold off and added to the New Hall Estate

1970s

Farming ceased

2002

Proposals to refurbish the farm building and convert into residences

2005

The farm buildings were converted, including additional new single storey residences in the ground of the farm

2009

Henwood Court relocates to the site… and the rest is history!

contact us

We’re here to help

0121 313 1370
The Cruck Barn
20 Country Park View
Sutton Coldfield
B76 1TE

Top